Tuesday, November 16, 2010

The culture of rape is all around us. How can we modify/change/address this culture?

just a thought, i have to know this for my deviant behavior classThe culture of rape is all around us. How can we modify/change/address this culture?
Simple:



We MUST teach our youth and re-teach the adults one simple lesson...RESPECT. Respect for self AND respect for others.



Firstly, I know I'm gonna sound like a politician, here, and that's not my intention. As a woman who was violated when I was only 18, I just have VERY strong opinions about rape. We, as consumers, must stop seeing movies that depict rape, stop buying video games that re-enact rape, and stop buying music that degrades women. This will send a message to the ';entertainment'; industry that we find the subject apalling and we don't see the need to glamorize it.



Second of all, we MUST realize that rape has nothing to do with sex, and EVERYTHING to do with violence and control.



We have to get the offenders as much help as is necessary to change this deviant behavior. We must realize that these are very sick individuals who need help. However, we must also realize that many of these offenders won't be able to be therapized and may need to be kept out of society for the rest of their lives.



Finally, we must be more compassionate to the victims of rape. When I was at the hospital, I had to of course give my statement to the police. In a room adjacent to the exam room, this male officer held up a Coke bottle and gave me an ink pen. He then told me to stick the pen in the bottle, while he moved the bottle around, quickly, from side to side. Through my tears, I told him that it wasn't possible, and he said to me, ';Maybe you should have moved around more.'; I will never forget the humiliation of that commentt, 21 yrs ago. That officer took my power away and gave it to my attacker that night. I chose not to pursue things legally. I was young, scared, and didn't want to be embarassed in the courtroom by an unsympathetic DA.The culture of rape is all around us. How can we modify/change/address this culture?
I know how silly the coke bottle thing sounds, but, as you read, it's a sad true statistic. Good Luck to you in your studies!!

Report Abuse


randkl--For a man of 45 yrs of age, I would think you, as a more ';mature'; person would have come to realize that being raped has nothing to do with where you live. you sound like the cop who took my statement...shamefull!

Report Abuse


by admitting it exist and having a very serious confrontation with it(rape).



it is an issue that must be addressed.
Legalize %26amp; implement castration. Longer prison sentences (an eye for an eye ya know!)
Violation of ones body, property, mind and soul is wrong. I think if there were more serious consequences, then this might change. Everyone must fight together and seperately on these types of issues. I still say when someone says no that is it.... Choices and FREEWILL%26gt;



Think about that.
Much stronger consequences for the behavior. Its disgusting, and they (the rapist)should be treated accordingly.If that means chopping something off, hey, i would vote for it.To address it, woman need to take control of their own well being, and take self defense courses that teach how to pull the knife and the mase out of your pocket at the same time while making a swift kick to the balls. thats prevention.
get our congress and senate to pass stricter federal laws and our state reps. to pass tougher laws concerning this issue. When the accuser or criminal appears before the judge in a court of law he should be given the maximum --not easy probation and maybe be made to have a mandatory license plate identifying him as a rapist on his vechicle if he ever gets out of prison. Make it tougher on child raptist and all raptist!!
I think we need to change the acceptance of unacceptable behavior. As the woman above said we cannot allow movies, music, TV shows to depict such behavior in an accepting way. I saw the movie ';The Hills Have Eyes'; and I was absolutely appalled that our society would allow the scene of that young woman getting raped be acceptable entertainment. I saw it in the theaters, it wasn't like I saw the ';unrated'; version on DVD. It was absolutely unnecessary. And to think, they had the balls to make a second one :( Same goes to some certain rap music, some of the lyrics should never be deemed acceptable (well we have to have free speech) but to have our youth embrace it! That is where we should focus, teaching our youth what is acceptable and what is not. That way we give them the tools as to decide what is acceptable.



As to the woman above I am very horrified to hear what that officer put you through. I hope that today we have more understanding of rape and that officers who deal with that today are more appropriate and understanding. I am so sorry that on top of your rape you had to deal with such an idiot as that officer.
I've lived for forty-five years and never seen a ';culture of rape';. Perhaps you just need to get out of that bad neighborhood you apparently live in?
I wish the violent culture Americans have could be changed in the home, but since that is where much of the violence towards children is occuring, we'll have to rely on the public school system to catch the abusers right now.



I think children who are being abused should be taken from their homes, and not just warehoused, but treated. These children are the next generation that will abuse their family members, unless we treat them, they will continue the violence. Right now there is no funding to treat these children; how are they suppose to change their behavior without it?



Parents shouldn't be allowed to regain custody of their children not just after they get cleaned up from drugs, but can actually control their rage and violence.



As someone who grew up in a home with a parent who beat my siblings and myself, I would have preferred to have lived in an orphanage, but I had heard how awful the foster program was and didn't want to end up in a worse situation.



I made sure I didn't have children, just because I didn't want to take any chances that I would become a parent like my father. Not until we treat our own families with respect, will our society reflect anything but the violent culture it is now.
end patriarchy, until women and men are seen as equals and the power struggles that are inherent in the hierarchy of patriarchy are neutralized, men who feel powerless will always need a way to feel more powerful.
  • triumphed over adversity
  • built in hdd password
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment